Road Department

Mission Statement

The core mission of the Upson County Road Department is to maintain all County-owned roadway infrastructure and to provide a safe and efficient roadway system for motorists utilizing the most cost-effective means while ensuring quality results. The County roadway system includes 414 miles of paved registered roads and 48 miles of unpaved registered roads.


The Road Dept.’s primary responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to the following:

  • Timber Harvest Notifications
  • Roadway Drainage Problems
  • Pothole Complaints and Repairs
  • Right-of-Way Mowing, Brush Trimming
  • Roadway Sign Repairs and Replacement
  • Permits for Driveway Connections, Utility Encroachment

Report Road Issue

Dead animals/road kill removal for:  

  • County-maintained Road – contact Upson County Animal Shelter 706-647-5586.
  • State route – contact Georgia Dept. of Transportation 706-646-6100. 

All other road maintenance issues on county-maintained roads can be reported by phone to 
706-647-2824 or online through Citizen Request Tracker

Any road maintenance issues that are located on the following state routes must be reported to the Georgia Department of Transportation 706-646-6100:

  • SR 19
  • SR 80
  • SR 74/Crest Highway/Yatesville Highway
  • SR 36/Woodland Road

Road Department Permits  

All work performed in or requiring access across the County’s right-of-way requires a permit.  No work or access is allowed in/through the County’s right-of-way until a permit has been approved.  

You can download the Driveway Permit Application or the Utility Permit Application by clicking on the links located under the Quick Links section on this webpage. 

The following activities require a permit to be submitted to the Road Dept.:

  • Driveway Permits: The new construction of driveways, with or without culverts, or the replacement or changes of existing driveways and/or culverts on County rights-of-way or easements is prohibited without first securing a permit from the Road Dept.  In addition, a permit is required for an inspection of an existing driveway when applying for a building permit.  No fee is required. 
  • Utility Encroachment: The installation or maintenance of public or private utilities along the right-of-way or easement of a county-maintained road is prohibited without obtaining a permit from the Road Dept.  A $50.00 application fee is required. 
  • Emergency Utility Repair/Maintenance: Any emergency repairs/maintenance performed to existing utilities in or crossing over a county right-of-way require completion of an emergency notification form. No fee is required.  Call 706-647-2824 to report Emergency Utility Repairs Mon. – Fri. 7:00 am – 3:00 pm

Timber Harvest Notifications

The Road Dept. oversees the timber harvest notifications for the unincorporated areas of Upson County. All timber harvest notifications must be submitted online through the Georgia Forestry Commission’s Timber Harvest Notification system at the below link:

If the ingress/egress is onto a state route, the logging company will need to contact the Georgia Department of Transportation at 706-646-6100.